19.9.09

Frankfurt's hospital is very nice.

So it wasn’t just a normal stomach ache. Yesterday morning the pain did not go away. Normally when I would have a stomach ache from eating milk products it would last a couple hours and then be gone after sleeping. Well the pain lasted through the night and was still there in the morning getting worse. After phillip took the kids to school I decided to go for a awalk to see if that would help.Forty five minutes later it was getting worse. Sometimes I had to stop walking because it hurt so bad. When I got back to the house I took a shower and then laid down to distract myself with a movie. Still didn’t help. So ten minutes into the movie I heard Landers’ in my head saying “Cara, quit it out. You need to go to the doctor.” Ok fine Landers. J So I went up and asked Phillip if I could maybe get an appt with a doctor and he called and I had an appt thirty minutes later. I rode my bike to the doctor – just ten minutes away. That’s when I really started to feel the excruciating pain on my right side of my abdomen. I get to the doctor – she doesn’t speak English but the front desk lady does. So she comes in with me and translates a bit. Then my stomach gets poked at and they decide I need to go to the hospital to do blood tests. They think it’s my appendix. Oh geez. So I’m crying because now I feel like such a burden to this poor family that has just taken me in. What a mess. They won’t let me bike to the hospital or walk so they call Phillip who comes and picks me up and we are off. At the hospital we get sent from here to there to here until finally we make it to somewhere. Cute guy asks me all sorts of questions that sound a lot like the ones I got before when I had my mlik issues. When did you last eat and drink? When was your last period? Might you be pregnant? id you go to the bathroom this morning? Then he lays me on a table and does some more poking at my stomach. It’s so funny though because they are all trying to speak English and he’s like please undo your pants – yes sir! He’s not convinced it is my appendix. He thinks i might just be constipated. Umm no sir I’m actually a great pooper I believe. He takes my blood – I don’t faint – success! Then we are sent to the next station – ultrasound!! A very cute ultrasound helper tells me to lift up my shirt and helps me unbutton my pants – so sweet of him – and then we are looking at my stomach for a good twenty minutes. Does this hurt? YES for crying out loud. After they take lots of pictures o my stomach and have me roll on this side and that another lady comes in and says that my appendix is not where it is supposed to be. It is higher and she says something how normally you can’t see it on an ultrasound but you can see mind. So she thinks that no, I’m not constipated but that indeed it is my appendix. Next station – peeing in a cup. It is 1PM and I am hungry having not eating since 7:30AM in the morning and I haven’t drank anything since probably 9:30AM. Peeing on command is a bit difficult. Poor Phillip has been following me around and coming in the rooms and helping translating and trying to focus on his magazine – the economist J - that he has brought with him. Next station – another doctor to poke at me again. Ok it is decided i shall go upstairs have an enima and then the doctor up there will decide if I need to have surgery today. My white blood count is high and something else. I sign away my life after hearing all about complications. Upstairs we go. 22 year old Marius is my nurse. He takes my blood pressure and temperature for the third time that day. It’s still normal. Then he along with this very stressful nurse person help me undress and he gives me an enema then I lay for five minutes until he helps me up to go to the bathroom – nothing really there. Back to the bed to lay in pain for another fifteen minutes till the main doctor comes in and pokes at me. YES THAT HURTS. Ugh. More tears. He leaves. I go and throw up. Nurse helps me back after I push the red button. Then I’m off to surgery after they give me a pill for my nerves. I’m not nervous for the surgery – I just want the pain to be gone. Big white room, gigantic light, very friendly nurses and doctors. They give me the sleeping gas and I’m out. I tell them good night. Hour and a half later I wake up. Wheeled back to my room. Sleep. Nurses in and out. Help me to the bathroom. Not allowed to eat or drink anything. I have these things that look like giant cotton balls on a stick that have a lemon flavor to them to help me salivate? I think they taste good – one of the young guy nurse assistants disagrees. lol. Andrea comes to the hospital – she has been cgone since Thursday in Munich doing work. She brings me quite a few great books. Mom calls me. Talk to her and aunt Teryl. They make me cry naturally. No calls please. lol. Thanks for the love mom. Blood Pressure checked through the night. i sleep fine I think. Thankfully i have a nice button that I get to push and it gives me drugs. Don’t worry – I can’t overdose because it limits me somehow. I feel much better than before the surgery but still am in quite a bit of pain. STILL can’t believe this is happening to me.  Still have had nothing to drink now at 10AM. Very painful to sit and go to the bathroom this morning. I have a bag coming out of my side with red bloodish stuff. Yuck. I feel a bit nauseous. But besides that I am doing all right. I will be here for two more days they say and then two weeks of healing. Now I shall sleep.